"Obsessive Surrealism" by Parallel Worlds (DiN26)

"Obsessive Surrealism" DiN26 review by Electroambi

Parallel Worlds "Obsessive Surrealism"

(www.DiN.org.uk, 2007)

11 tracks, 63.27 mins

Greek musician Bakis Sirros is Parallel Worlds, and his Obsessive Surrealism album is an experimental work that is perfectly wedded to Ian Boddy's DiN label, ambient electronica that pushes the sonic envelope. "Beneath Fear" percolates with restrained aggression as light bass, beats and electronics come together sneakily in a vaguely sinister fashion. The mood reminds me much of UK favorite Node, known for their dark take on Berlin school. Though retro fans should enjoy the mellotron choirs in the opening track, Bakis' music covers a variety of electronic territory. For example, "Into the Caves of the Mind" veers into dark industrial ambient like Bill Leeb and Rhys Fulber's Synaesthesia project. "Empty Human Cells" is representative of the offerings, highly synthesized processed sounds that are uniquely assembled into tightly arranged adventurous compositions. "Interlude" gurgles and churns its way along. Bass and beats figure prominently in several tracks, such as "Reflective." Though it all has an edge to it, the music has a surprising accessibility as well. Still, the tone remains murky throughout much of it, typified by "Mindmists" as it ambles forward. A notable exception is the energetic number "Distracted" before the melancholy atmospheric "Crying Spells" brings the disc to a close. Recommended.

© 2007 Phil Derby / Electroambient Space

More new "Obsessive Surrealism" DiN26 cd album rev

Parallel Worlds - "Obsessive surrealism (DiN26) cd album

review from Morpheus music (www.morpheusmusic.co.uk ):

"STYLE: Moody electronica with strong structures and deep atmospheric backdrops. Obsessive Surrealism delivers eleven melodic synthesiser tracks where low key beats or driving electro-grooves propel shadowy compositions with periodic hints of exposed Berlin roots. Rhythmic sequencer patterns work in tandem with programmed percussion to give most pieces a clearly measured pace, that said, the grooves often break down into fluttering interludes or textural ambient explorations. Parallel Worlds makes abundant use of analogue hardware to create a sound that harks back to the electronica of previous decades whilst set within a twenty first century context. The melodic content is understated, sometimes carried by drifting chord progressions; sometimes dimly lit phrases shot through with percolating, flickering sequences.

MOOD: The range of synthetic sound here is broad, inventive and engrossing; the style also quite varied from track to track - yet the whole album is very coherent, establishing a well thought out sonic environment. There is a fairly consistent shadow hanging over most of this album - low light technology and mysterious spaciness combining into sinewy, ominous themes. The beats at their most strident produce an engine-like drive, a dramatic futuristic regularity, almost militaristic - but frequently these are allowed to break down or disperse into lighter rhythms or even into beatless expanse

ARTWORK: An abstract image that looks something like a photograph taken from a TV screen fills three panels of this package - thin horizontal bands of blue, red and green form dark geometric shapes - on the front a narrow white vertical strip holds the titles and the DiN catalogue numeral 26. On the reverse a broader strip of white holds track titles and their timings as well as informing listeners that this is a limited edition of 1000 copies only. Inside the two leaf booklet opens out to reveal a bank of sound gear illuminated by small rows of lights, meters and glowing digits. Facing this large image, the remaining inner panel is again white with black text in a simple font - a repeated track list, credits and thanks along with a gear list of 'selected equipment'.

OVERALL: Parallel Worlds is primarily the project of Greek musician Bakis Sirros, although collaborators occasionally lend their talents to the name. Here Obsessive Surrealism is appropriately presented via Ian Boddy's DiN label - the experimental, slightly ambient approach to pure electronica fitting nicely into the label's catalogue. Promotional material explains that "Parallel Worlds use mostly Hardware machines. Mainly huge Analogue Modular systems and Analogue Step Sequencers of the past and present combined with digital FM and virtual analogue synths and sampling". This love of gear is evident in the soundscaping of the music - in addition to the emotive nature of the compositions themselves, there is a clear delight in sound sculpture and sonic layering - clearly a lot of time has gone into the production of this album. Bakis Sirros is also behind the new IDM/electronica project Interconnected with Ingo Zobel (of DRON, Signalform, Self Oscillate, Datasette) and the Ambient / experimental project called Memory Geist with Steve Law (of Zen Paradox, Starseed Transmission, Guild Of Fire, etc.).

WHO WILL LIKE THIS ALBUM: Obsessive Surrealism will likely please DiN regulars as well as fans of evolving Berlin school electronica. Go for this one if you enjoy moody synthetics with clear beats and ambient cloudscapes"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

review from MusikZirkus-magazin.de (www.musikzirkus-magazin.de) :

"Parallel Worlds ist der Projektname des Griechen Bakis Sirros. Auf seinem 63minütigen aktuellen Album „Obsessive Surrealism“ befinden sich elf Ambienttracks. Bakis hat die einzelnen Tracks mit Ausnahme von „Distracted“, dass er zusammen mit John Sirros (seinem Bruder?) gemacht hat, zwischen 2002 und 2006 komponiert.

Die Musik von Bakis weist ungewöhnliche Klangfarben auf. Sehr schöne Harmonielinien werden von Rhythmussequenzen und Klangeffekten durchzogen, was eine Mixtur aus Ambient, atmosphärischen Soundscapes, modernen Electronica-Elementen mit einem Hauch von 70’er Jahre-Feeling und Electropop der 80’er darstellt. Im weitesten Sinne könnten Parallelen zu Wolfram Spyra gezogen werden, aber wirklich nur im allerweitesten Sinne. Es ist schwer diese Musik einzuordnen, dazu klingt sie zu eigenständig und anders. Der Hörer wird eine neue, faszinierende Klangwelt entdecken, zumindest mir erging es so.

Mal klingt das sehr harmonisch wie im Opener „Beneath Fear“, dann etwas düster und technisch wie in „Different Pathways“. „Empty Human Cells“ klingt wieder technisch aber durch Sounds, die an Wasser /Flüssigkeit erinnern, irgendwie organisch. Sehr sanft entführt einen „Increasing Compexity“ in einen anderen Klangkosmos, in den man sich völlig verlieren kann. Zwar ist „Reflective“ durch unterschiedliche Sounds sehr abwechslungsreich, doch weist es eine gewisse Monotonie auf. Und „Distracted“ ist ein Track, der mitreißt, weil er eine sehr schöne Melodielinie aufweist und diese über weite Strecken mit tanzbare, technoartigen Rhythmen verbindet. Der letzte Track „Crying Spells“ ist wieder sehr monoton und überzeugt mich nicht. Schade, eigentlich sollte der letzte Track einer CD noch mal Appetit auf die Repeat-Taste machen.

Mit „Obsessie Surrealism“ ist Bakis eine sehr schöne, außergewöhnliche Ambientplatte gelungen, bei der er mit unterschiedlichen Rhythmussequenzen arbeitet. Für mich ist Parallel Worlds eine echte Entdeckung. "

Stephan Schelle, Juni 2007

new reviews of "Obsessive Surrealism" (DiN26) cd album:

"CD: PARALLEL WORLDS, Obsessive Surrealism ...Parallel Worlds is Bakis Sirros of Greece, and this is one of the best non-ambient, non-Berlin School (though the influences are there) albums of electronic music in recent memory — with a mouthwatering arsenal of analog modulars and synthesizers, to boot. Ten short and mid-length compositions (no epics) gives this a very "soundtrack" feel. Ian Boddy's DiN label keeps churning out winners!

Sea of Tranquility / Elias Granillo (www.seaoftranquility.org )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Musicista greco attivo da circa dieci anni nel campo della musica elettronica, Bakis Sirros è giunto con "Obsessive Surrealism" al traguardo del suo quarto album (il primo pubblicato dalla DiN), un traguardo raggiunto attraverso un'attività piuttosto intensa e fertile dal punto di vista artistico... "Obsessive Surrealism" sembra confermare il talento di Sirros nel saper manipolare ed arrangiare le sonorità dei classici sintetizzatori analogici insieme alle più recenti innovazioni digitali, il risultato è un'opera decisamente oscura e claustrofobica, una musica che difficilmente permette di intuire le origini mediterranee di Sirros... Le undici composizioni del suo progetto Parallel Worlds sembrano suggerisci un "obsessive futurism" tanto è profondamente dark ed opprimente la visione musicale di Sirros, sospeso fra suggestioni degne dei migliori incubi noir-tecnologici di Philip K. Dick ed atmosfere vicine a certe colonne sonore realizzate da John Carpenter durante gli anni ottanta: "Obsessive Surrealism" si estende nell'arco di un'ora in maniera omogenea nel quale brani come "Beneath Fear", "Empty Human Cells", "Mindmist", "Crying Spells", si sviluppano in forme electro-ambient (tracce dell'influenza di Harold Budd sparse qua e là) austere e marziali, in un crescendo di tensione che non raggiunge mai la catarsi liberatoria, anzi... Le impressioni di decadenza futuristica e totalitarismo hi-tech emanate da "Obsessive Surrealism" non lasciano quindi alcun spiraglio di luce e speranza, salvo giusto il piacere di goderci il fascino di una musica tanto fascinosa quanto opprimente."

Giovanni Carta / Arlequins.it (Prog Rock webmagazine)

Gefällt mir ganz gut, aber übertreiben will ich es jetzt nicht.. Die Tracks klingen irgendwie ähnlich. Es ist schnell tot gehört und es passiert wenig. Düdeldu auf Beat und immer auf die eins ein Sweep.. Ich mach Musik aus Spass und bin mir meiner ähnlichkeit mit schon vorhandenem bewusst, deswegen würde ich jetzt nie die Werbetrommel krachen lassen.. Aber jeder wie er es braucht

langsam geht's mir auf'n Sack - in JEDEM Forum wo ich angemeldet bin , seitenlange threads mit reviews - das nervt.

Ich freu mich zwar ueber den Erfolg fuer ihn und Eigenwerbung ist schon ok aber irgendwann ist auch mal gut.

Ich überlege schon lange, mal in einer Liste zu fragen, wann das Album "Attention Deficit Disorder Surrealism" endlich erscheint.

i am just announcing a cd competition. Not a review.
where should i announce it?
i decided not to create a new topic, in order not to waste extra forum bandwidth.

Honestly, you act a little bit like a spammer. In every forum the same. Its so much i never went to your site to check out your stuff because it annoyed me so much. Just my personal opinion...

Its so much i never went to your site to check out your stuff because it annoyed me so much.
oh, that's not very kind.

@moduleman
i think you should post in the electronicattack.de - forum.
the community there is much more friendly than this one, you'll see.
good luck.

oh, da bin ich von dir aber gründlich mißverstanden worden :eek:
und die sache mit dem ea-forum, ich dachte, das könnte eine heilende wirkung haben...

misterk schrieb:
oh, da bin ich von dir aber gründlich mißverstanden worden :eek:
und die sache mit dem ea-forum, ich dachte, das könnte eine heilende wirkung haben...

neee war ja nicht bös von mir gemeint :)
wollte das nur ironisch in frage stellen ;-)

da kommt ja endlich bewegung in den thread,
wenn auch auf absurde weise.
ich fühlte mich nicht von dir, sondern von tomcat mißverstanden. :lol:

wenn ich irdgendson smilie hinter that's not kind gehängt hätte, wär der böse plan mit ea doch sofort zum scheitern verurteilt gewesen.

hoping that i will not get agressive replies again this time (as i do NOT create new topics for each new review and, so, i do not really disturb anyone with more reviews in the exact same topic...) (btw, i have contributed to the moogulator website with synth/studio photos and, so, i think i am entitled to post reviews, as long as they are in the same topic... and of course if there is a real problem, then i will wait for a private notice from the forum moderator):

there is a new (great) review of "Obsessive Surrealism" (DiN26) cd album in the greek webmag Atraktos.net.

the review is in greek , but it is great and the last word is "Exceptional"

link: http://www.atraktos.net/article.asp?cat=4&article=12644

thanks,
Bakis.

btw, i recently added to my Roland system-100m, the 175 triple bandpass filter module (i ordered it from the maker) that is mentioned in the moogulator website. looks and sounds wonderful!

New great "Obsessive Surrealism" (DiN26) album rev

Hello all,

There is a new great review of "Obsessive Surrealism" (DiN26) cd album here:
http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews ... nt&id=5884

here is just the final verdict:

"...Sirros' mastery of sound-sculpt and sample-shape isn't likely to be replicated in any release from that genre. In all, Obsessive Surrealism is the most exciting electronic release of 2007. "

Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Elias Granillo / Sea of tranquility

Review from Bill Binkelman (of Wind and Wire):

PARALLEL WORLDS
Obsessive Surrealism
DiN (2007)
11 tracks, 63:29

Bakis Sirros (Parallel Worlds) reinvents retro-EM on Obsessive Surrealism, one of the best EM recordings of the year. As he weaves his way through eleven tracks (many under six minutes - a decision that I applaud, frankly), he immerses the listener in a shadowy realm where a myriad of past EM and electronica influences (chief among them are John Carpenter’s soundtracks) merge with a dark yet lush contemporary tint. A smattering of synth-pop touches, perhaps trace elements of Jarre, Tangerine Dream, or Synergy also surface, as well as echoes of contemporaries like Current, Di Evantile, and others. The music (much of it created on modular analogue instruments) is always couched in an atmosphere permeated with dread, foreboding, menace and mystery. Because the music frequently has a cinematic aspect to it, I think Sirros’ biggest influences were the music from films such as Escape from New York, The Fog, and to lesser degrees, Big Trouble in Little China and The Thing (and yes, I know The Thing soundtrack was actually composed by Ennio Morricone, thankyouverymuch). Regardless whether you will agree with me on this point, Obsessive Surrealism is an entertaining disc and certainly plays better in the foreground rather than as sonic wallpaper. You’ll really want to listen to this one.

The opening “Beneath Fear” gives you a good indication what to expect. Muted bell tones are set off against assorted skittering electronic FX and minor chord washes. Rhythms emerge gradually but build in intensity along with the addition of moody chorals. “Different Pathways” begins with a steady snare and bass drum beat. Burbling static and organ-like chords are right out of The Thing, and have that same “hair stands up on the back of your neck” effect, as if something is approaching and it’s not gonna be pleasant. Yet, the energy of the song (unlike Carpenter’s soundtracks) is dialed up to a higher intensity level. It’s almost infectious, an intriguing counterpoint to music suffused with dread. “Empty Human Cells” evokes Escape from New York at times, with the same pulsing rhythms and flurry of synths that marked one of Carpenter’s more sought after works.

Sirros settles down only occasionally (too bad) e.g. on “Increasing Complexity” with its echoed piano, bell tones, and undulating drones, eventually married to some midtempo synth bass beats and weird effects. He takes aim at a mixture of ‘80s dance/synth pop crossed with neon-lit Berlin on the bouncy, energetic “Distracted.” Harold Faltemeyer meets Tangerine Dream, perhaps? The CD ends with the dark Sturm und Drang of “Crying Spells,” a welling-up dose of propulsive yet oppressive power, reminding me of Big Trouble in Little China crossed with The Keep (soundtrack by Tangerine Dream).

Despite my numerous allusions to other artists (notably Carpenter and his unnamed accomplice Alan Howarth), don’t be mistaken in thinking Obsessive Surrealism reeks of copycatting. Bakis Sirros is certainly an original. The music here is a hybrid of retro analogue-driven and contemporary EM, with the emphasis on the former but not in a derivative fashion. More than anything else, what Sirros’ infuses this CD with is a delightfully sly mixture of fun and frights. Charged with a shadowy spookiness and a dose of creepy menace around every corner, the album is very highly recommended.

Rating: A

Bill Binkelman / Wind And Wire

Btw. As professional trader (even your own stuff is trading) and useless poster (except your own blah blah you dont post here usefull information) you should read the forum rules and make a nice donation to moogulator for the free advertising.

P.S. just my opinion, has nothing to do with the mods or moogulator!

P.P.S. maybe your music is nice, but wiith your type of advertising in every forum im so pissed off by you - i never listened ... and will not buy either

tomcat schrieb:
Bakis. Your spam is getting more and more stupid.

Now after you dont know what to write anymore you just make empty posts.

Moduleman schrieb:
i was not an empty post. it was a double-post / mistake. as i cannot delete a post in this forum (in other forums you have that option too), i had to replace it with dots.
so, consider all possibilites before judjing people.
anyway,
Happy New Year to you too! :)

Dont take us for stupid. Its two empty posts on the 2nd of jan. And the one before was in december.

But beside this read and think about my last post. I dont know you and i dont have anything personal against you. Maybe youre the nicest guy on earth. Just the type of spamming everywhere pisses me off.

tomcat schrieb:
Dont take us for stupid. Its two empty posts on the 2nd of jan. And the one before was in december.

But beside this read and think about my last post. I dont know you and i dont have anything personal against you. Maybe youre the nicest guy on earth. Just the type of spamming everywhere pisses me off.
both of these were mistakes made because the forum does not work sometimes and so i do not see a confirmation of my last posting (maybe is my connection...).
i just saw the second empty post!
and i do not take you or any other for stupid, i respect the forum members.
i do not insult them. regardless if you do not seem to see it.

here is the post that i wanted to post and ended up in dots becase of connection problems:

PARALLEL WORLDS - Obsessive Surrealism CD review

Ian Boddy's Din label is now famous world-wide as the leading electronic music label that mixes originality with accessibility - you won't hear something on this label that bores you to death and you also won't hear anything that bores holes in you. This is no exception. The opening track, 6 minutes of "Beneath Fear" immediately serves as testimony. There's a melody line but it's twisted, there's a rhythm but it's angular, there's a texture but it's choral and a strength but it's magical. As keyboard, synth and electronci and electro-percussive rhythms move over each other like tectonic plates slowly coming to life, the feeling is of a giant awakening from a long-held slumber, the peice possessing more atmosphere than purpose, but, inreality, plenty of each. So much so, that the 5 minutes of "Different Pathways" is altogether lighter as though the giant beast has sprouted wings and is now able to fly, stretch and circle, albeit slowly, as musical muscles are flexed and the synths wheeze and groan in a highly melodic manner, drones the wheeze, bass rumbles the groans, as twinkling synth tunes in the distant, sparkle on top of slowly flowing electro-percussive beats, boinging bass synths and swirling gas clouds of electronics. The 3 minutes of "Empty Human Cells" is typical of the album as every track is its own entity and yet there seems to be a natural thematic follow-on from the previous piece. Here the sound is altogether bigger, with giant bass synth rhythms booming out slowly as more cosmic synth textures dance behind an array of heavenly melody lines, the dominant force beingt the dark rhythms that hang like a cloud over the optimism, turning light into something altogether more eerie, the synths gathering strength and an assembalge of rhythms and layers gliding purposefully acroass a universe of space synth backdrops. Ironically, the 6 minutes of "Increasing Complexity", is altogether more simplistic, as electric piano melody flows over gentle synth rhythms and undulating backdrops to provide a restrained respite from the increasing intensity, this time a big loping electro-percussive synth rhythm taking centre stage as the melody meanders, the rhythm undfolds and wheezing, puffing electronic rhythmic backgrounds supplement the main machine heart of the beast, all the while the melodic blood flowing through its veins and keeping it alive and vital. "Caves" also focuses on the rhythmic side of things as the central theme unfolds before these subside to leave a sea of slow-motion keyboard chords that lull you before the impending darkness falls and the life of stuttering rhythmic complexity begins to form all around you. Two minutes of deep, dark industrial strength cosmic synths allied to industrial strength booming electro-percussive rhythms serves as a bridge between what has gone before and the magical 9 minutes of "Reflective" where string synths and soaring space synth swoops create something timeless and beautiful as the, now familiar, sound of a booming electronic beat, this time slowly, emerges and takes its place at the centre of its universe, the synth flow darkening, the melodic intensity deepening and the whole thing gathering strength and layers to take off to the skies like some giant spaceship of unknown origin and yet seemingly familiar design. The rhythms rev up like rocket motors and the resonant rumble of boinging bass synths adds to the electro-percussive beats as the stirring sound of string synths weves the melodic web and all manner of eldctronic surrounds provide a pastoral presence to sit naturally against the blackness of the rhythmic mood. The near 9 minutes of "Mindmists" is altogether more abstract and here the melody factor disappears into one giant musical black hole, out of which comes the echoes of distant melodie that ahve ben swallowed up by the darkness, th whole main figure gurgling, rumbling, lurching and sucking in every musical layer you care to throw at it, as, one after another, rhythms tumble freefall through space while the sound of distant mellotrons provides a backdrop for the juxtaposition of cosmic bliss and dark bleak space, the gravity wll eventually falling away to reveal uncharted regions of space through which you cruise with electric piano, mellotron, electro-percussive rhythmic rumbles, off-key electronic backdrops and space synth masses, all combine to create a wholly new musical universe that soon bursts into life and evolves into yet another spellbinding example of rhythm and texture. Three tracks between 4 and 7 minutes complete the picture in similar vein to what has gone before and the epic journey is over, something that has transfixed you yet somehow has left a mark that is felt but not remembered, as you lay it to rest, knowing one day son, that it's a journey you will wish to undertake once more to see the altogether different musical sights that youmight have missed first time round and to enjoy the shape of the universe in many and varied ways. Adventurous originality combined with accessibility in electronics is summed up by this album.

Andy Garibaldi(Dead Earnest) 12-07

www.deadearnest.btinternet.co.uk
www.myspace.com/deadearnestdundee
www.myspace.com/mermaidrockpromotions

And did you donate for the advertising?

Or just request some new features for the forum so you dont make any doubleposts?

Im curious. Do you post all this reviews to sell more cds or to feel more important?

Neueste Beiträge

News

Zurück
Oben