Musik mit Roland Geräten, "Rolandmusik"

Xpander-Kumpel

||||||||||
Ich finde man kann doch mal einen Thread mit gesammelten Werken eröffnen, die alle stark von Rolandklangerzeugern geprägt sind oder die Klangerzeuger eine wichtige Rolle im jeweiligen Musikstück spielen.
Falls ihr noch zusätzliche interessante Infos wisst, dann schreibt die doch einfach dazu, interessiert bestimmt einige hier!
Wenn ich hier viel Techno poste heisst das nicht das es nur um Techno geht.

Roland "Rock on" :phat: !

Dann mach ich mal den Anfang mit dem Stück "Always" von Midi Rain von 1991.
Imho fast nur Roländer am Start, TR-909/Juno-106/JX-3P/SH-101 waren bei denen damals am Start und sollen angeblich genutzt worden sein:

"Quazar" aus Holland, man die habe ich Anfang der 90er rauf und runter gedudelt.
Im Besitz waren sie damals von TR-fast komplett, SH-101, MS-202, :mrgreen: , Junos, JD800, etc..
Bei 0:30 kommt übrigends ein Bass dazu den ich als "perkussiven SH-Pulse-Bass" bezeichnen würde, den bau ich bis heute mit jedem Gerät was ich in die Finger bekomme nach. Für mich einer "der" Bässe :phat: .

"Quazar: Seven Stars" 1990.
Was wohl der Hauptsound am Anfang sein könnte, wird ja mit sowas wie nem Bandpass bearbeitet, könnte das der JD800 sein?
Der "gephasedte" Sound ist auf jeden Fall ne Gitarre und imho schön ne TB im Hintergrund.

"Dragonfighters" nimmt das gleiche Thema nochmal auf wirkt aber am "ausgereiftesten", hier wirkt die "gephasedte" Gitarre fast wie bei "Follow you follow me" von Genesis. Ab 1:56 wieder dieser fette Highpass-Sound, ist das der JD-800?:

Sammy3000 schrieb:
Die meisten hassen ihn heutzutage genauso wie den Supersaw-Sound, aber ich bin Jahrgang ´77 und da fällt mir zu dem Thema erstmal direkt der Roland Alpha-Juno-Hoover-Sound ein:

Sorry, war halt meine Zeit :phat:

Dafür gibt's keine Entschuldigung.
"I wanna kiss myself"???
Alter…
Das hat auch nichts mit Jahrgang zu tun.
Bad taste is bad taste. Period…
:peace:

Na, vielleicht war ich damals auch nicht offen genug.
Renegade Soundwave war das höchste der Gefühle.
Das erste Stück geht ja. ;-)

Also, tut mir echt leid, aber beim Hoover gings doch nicht um Geschmack!!!

Das war einfach eine neue Zeit, neue(alte, zum ersten mal genutzte)Sounds und eine neue Musik mit alten Geräten die die Welt noch nicht gesehen hatte.

Klang aber trotzdem megabillig. Auch damals.
Kommt aber wohl drauf an, aus welchem Lager man kam/kommt…
Kirmes, oder Gruft?

Grimsel schrieb:
Klang aber trotzdem megabillig. Auch damals.
Kommt aber wohl drauf an, aus welchem Lager man kam/kommt…
Kirmes, oder Gruft?

Nö, Kirmes gab es da noch garnicht, da haben die Kommerzheinis noch gepennt und Gruft fand ich immer lächerlich ala "wir wären gern DM, schaffen es aber nicht", es muß also noch etwas drittes damals gegeben haben :kaffee: .

Oh weh!

Also das denkt ausser Dir wahrscheinlich niemand.

Als "Kirmes" gilt im allgemeinen "Kommerztechno", z.B. "Marc Oh" gepitchtde Micky Maus Stimme etc....

Haha, 4 Dinger und schon Systemstreit. Es gibt verdammt viel was mit Rolandanteil gemacht ist aber reine Rolandmusik ist nicht ganz so einfach. Oder?
Throbbing Gristle's Chris hatte ne Menge Roland.

Gibt's hier immer Ausfälle? Schon 2.Mal ist mein Post nicht hoch gekommen. Überschneidungen/ Synchronizitäten gar?

Also ich meinte "Musik die auf der Kirmes gespielt wurde"
Und da waren die oben genanten Genres definitiv vertreten. Auch New Order, aber NICHT
DAF, No More, Front 242 usw.
Das ist für MICH Kirmes.
Das Genre kenne ich gar nicht. Auch nicht den "Act", den du genannt hast.
Aber, alles cool.
Roland forever…#
Jeder Hersteller von Synths rulez1

Ganz so eng ist ja nicht zu betrachten, siehe Eingangspost.
Also "Save a Prayer" von DuranDuran oder Howard jones gehören da bestimmt dazu.
Ich fänds interessant falls man noch irgendwelche Anekdoten dazu berichten könnte.

Xpander-Kumpel schrieb:
Ganz so eng ist ja nicht zu betrachten, siehe Eingangspost.
Also "Save a Prayer" von DuranDuran oder Howard jones gehören da bestimmt dazu.
Ich fänds interessant falls man noch irgendwelche Anekdoten dazu berichten könnte.

Nena, Modern Talking, Münchner Freiheit...

Talking of elephants...

of my favorite sounds were the main synth line on It's My Life, the shriek sound similar to an elephant on Such A Shame, and the lead synth on It's You. What keyboards/technique did you use to get those sounds?

Not entirely sure what the main synth line on It's My Life is, but the main organ / pad sound on it was probably Tim, on an Oberheim OBMx, but most the others were me on a Roland Jupiter 8, except one we called Tugboat (the 2 note deep blown sound on the verses, that was Tim again on OBMx)
The Elephant was using one oscillator that rose and dropped in pitch, while being cross modulated by another oscillator which makes the pitches of oscillator one sound as harmonic distortion on the sound of oscillator 2. That's basically it, anyway.
Again, I'm not really sure what you refer to as the "lead synth" on It's You. The organ / pad synth from the bridge is a similar OBMx combination to It's My Life I think, from TIm. The 5ths lead synth after the first chorus and under verse 2 is as derivative of one of the JP8 sounds I used to use distorted for the guitar parts, a kind of bell sound but without the distortion. I think it features on The Last Time too, or another derivative of it. The solo was done on a similar sound to the main chorus line in Such A Shame, more cross modulating oscillators but without the pitch changing so drastically, just used to give a distortion to a more controlled pitched sound. Underneath that is another of the bell like sounds I used for guitar parts, this time distorted through a guitar amp and then sent to a PA rig and recorded in the room like that.

“We try to use synths from the point of view of unnatural instruments. We try to use a synth sound as you would use a Fairlight or whatever – you don’t get a particular string sound where you say ‘oh, that’s obviously a string’, You play with the sound and make it into something that hasn’t been heard before.”

Paul, how did you get that incredible bass sound on ‘Such a Shame’?

“I played it on my lap and plucked it with a screwdriver – that’s my secret!”

What basses do you use then?

“I’ve got two. A Wal fretless and a Kramer fretless going through a Boss flanger pedal. Another secret.”

Harris had disappeared by this point so I had a crafty look at his set-up. He’s got a Rogers’s kit with Simmons SDS5 toms and effects and a Roland TR808 linked to a CR8000 drum machine which also supplies the click track

Somehow, Jimi has both the Russian Sampler and the Russian Synth triggering from a Roland TR-606 drum machine. A trigger input had to be bolted into the synth, which also never stays in tune.

"I play with the resonance until it starts to oscillate the filter itself. You can make rough melodies with the speed of the trigger. The faster the trigger, the higher the pitch of the synth. Don't ask me why. It has a really deep bass, too."

When Jimi plays live, the 606 is pre-programmed with the song, although the song is usually a simple affair.

"I use one pattern for one song, that's it. I think it's fair to the audience that way. The machine isn't doing everything. Once I put it on, that's it. Then I change levels and switch instruments off, so people can see that things only change when I do s omething."

The JX-8p AND the DX-7 were used by them and can be seen being used in the 'In Orange' live video among others, but I dont really hear either of those two synths on Disintegration. The JX-8p is certainly not capable of the plucked strings heard on Lullaby. I would have to say, particularly keeping in mind this was 1988-89, the strings on the album were sampled strings. There wasn't an abundance of synths or romplers at that time that had brilliant, lush strings as heard on Disintegration. I think the hook on 'Closedown' has sort of an Arp String Ensemble sound to it though.

..his concern for sounds that are appropriate, rather than trendy, reflects in O'Donnell's stage setup. One of his two onstage keyboards is a vintage Roland JX-8P. "It wasn't really my choice to play the Roland," O'Donnell admits. 'But it has a lot of sounds from the old albums, so it made sense to use them, rather then to go through a lot of new stuff. We used it on the album as well. And now I'm quite happy with it. The high string patch is especially nice.'

Other venerable units lend an eerie timelessness to the textures on Disintegration. 'The characteristic sound of the album is the orchestral string sample I got from Doctor Sounds in New York for my [Sequential] Prophet 2000,' O'Donnell reports. 'But we often mixed it with a classic instrument from the Cure's old days--a Solina String Ensemble, which is still in the Cure cave. Robert actually likes to try to get it into every song. I sampled that into the 2000 for our tour.'"

Grimsel schrieb:
Talking of elephants...

of my favorite sounds were the main synth line on It's My Life, the shriek sound similar to an elephant on Such A Shame, and the lead synth on It's You. What keyboards/technique did you use to get those sounds?

Not entirely sure what the main synth line on It's My Life is, but the main organ / pad sound on it was probably Tim, on an Oberheim OBMx, but most the others were me on a Roland Jupiter 8, except one we called Tugboat (the 2 note deep blown sound on the verses, that was Tim again on OBMx)

Oberheim OB-Xa meinte er bestimmt, der OB-Mx kam erst in den 90ern. It's my Life ist von 1984.

Talk Talk - Such a Shame ;-)
https://youtu.be/AQ9i15f5jXU

glider schrieb:
Oberheim OB-Xa meinte er bestimmt, der OB-Mx kam erst in den 90ern. It's my Life ist von 1984.

Du Fuchs.
Das hatte jemand in dem Gearslutz Thread auch bemerkt.
Ich dachte, ich lass das mal.. :floet:

;-)

Neueste Beiträge

News

Zurück
Oben