Rip Lee Perry

Aus R is for Roland:

"The world would be a different place without this man, without his spirit and his skill. Lee breathes a soul into every piece of music that passes through his fingers. In Kingston, Jamaica, he once ran the legendary Black Ark studio where he, along with numerous great studio musicians, has hosted artists such as Bob Marley or Paul McCartney and fertilized the world of music with the reggae sub-genre known as »dub«.
In the hands of Lee Perry, the mixing desk became an instrument. And with the the Space Echo and Mutron Bi-Phase pedal, an organic sound was created that has established roots and shoots in many areas, leading to drum & bass and dub techno. Perry is still musically active and commutes with his wife Mireille between Switzerland and Jamaica. »Scratch« means to feel. And he who feels, lives.

Q: how did you came up with the idea to use the combination of a tape delay and space echo?

lee: Well actually the thoughts for the creation that I was putting together were coming from space. There was this little gem that was in my thoughts where I could literally reach the space. I knew I would need something like that in real so I started thinking and I saw some different machines from japan. I just wanted to add - you know - the japanese thought to see what type of information's they would teach me.<tour>? I plugged it straight into the mixing desk and send all the tracks thru it and literally the tracks become part of my thoughts.

Q: do you remember where you got your space echo an biphase from?
lee: Ah...London. I brought them from London to Jamaica.Most of the time I just walking into a shop where I search something that I was looking for, things like "well nobody wants to have them" - and I was buying it right away - yes the way i got some things ..they where waiting for me. As far as I know I was the only one using that space echo back in Kingston.

Q: does the space echo deserve its name?
lee: Ya! Space Echo - thats was lovely from the option - everything - it just fit into space; the cosmic. Whoever created it - where creating something smart.

Q: did you have a spiritual handling with your gear?
lee: Ya! well ahm..I blow my breath on the machines. The breath that had the god name - ganja - So I was in term to copy that (Laughts). Your life worked into the ma- chine and the machine was It wasn't too long i was in the machine as a ...

Q: can machines have a soul?
lee: if you are pure in the thoughts they are like ...markets...marts..
they will obey you...you command and you have to treat them like a kid.
And you can live in them and they can live in you. Spiritual transprotation, teleporation. I was a kind of telepathic communication you had with the machine.
The copy machine in your mind and ma- chine understand you because it has you breath. So I blow in the machine. The ma- chine become me I become the machine. Cars, Machines, Jom everything can talk to antakt to anakt apart of the man that brought you here - its possible.
Telepatic its meaning. Teleportation Telemagic.
Scienece, Machine

Q: how much does coincidence and feeling play a role in working with a precisely working machine like the space delay?
lee: Working with this machines is 100 % coincidence and feeling.

Q: could you please describe the space echo in your own word in one sentence:
lee: The Space Echo is Ma Ganja...Ganja!

Q: what happened to your instruments?
lee: I put them on the earth. The earth got them as sacrifice.
"

Oh no... RIP Upsetter!

In den 90ern hab ich mich hauptsächlich mit Punk/HC auseinandergesetzt und ich hatte wenig Gutes für Reggae übrig.

Vor ein paar Jahren bin ich über Perry in den frühen Reggae reingekommen und ich mag es sehr! Eine neue Dimension für mich. Die Alben für Junior Murvin und die Congos liebe ich sehr…

Eine gute Reise!

https://youtu.be/00JycYc_Ngg

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Den habe ich doch noch vor ein paar Jahren in Dortmund gesehen?!
Shit.
RIP

Jetzt wurde der Wikipedia-Eintrag im Nekrolog angepasst. Vorher stand da nur 'Lee Perry' - jetzt heißt es Lee „Scratch“ Perry... das wird die Wiki-Militärs wohl heftige Grabenkämpfe gekostet haben.

R.I.P.

Die Nachricht über den Tod Lee "Scratch" Perrys hat mich sehr traurig gemacht. Ich hatte das Glück ihn vor einigen jahren hier in Hamburg live zu erleben. Natürlich am Mixer Mad Professor.
Eines meiner Lieblings-Tracks, gerade auch wegen des wunderschönen Vocodereinsatzes:

ich glaub ich muss doch noch das geld fuer nen bi-phase raustun. als tribut an perry.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Buchla Knöpfe? Eigenbau oder irgendwas was man kaufen konnte?
iirc ist das eine alte MCI konsole die aber weitgehend modifiziert wurde. tubby ist gross geworden als elektroniker, radio-reparatur, amp-bau usw. und hat sich zb den EQ selber modifiziert.

edit:
hier ein gearspace thread mit etwas info. eventuell ist die selbst-modifikation auch nur ne urbane legende.

iirc ist das eine alte MCI konsole die aber weitgehend modifiziert wurde. tubby ist gross geworden als elektroniker, radio-reparatur, amp-bau usw. und hat sich zb den EQ selber modifiziert.

edit:
hier ein gearspace thread mit etwas info. eventuell ist die selbst-modifikation auch nur ne urbane legende.
ich finde den Formfaktor des Desks wirklich klasse. Hat was von API o.ä.. Ich mag auch diesen alten riesigen "Eisenbahn-Hebel-Potentiometer" am Output/Bus.

News

Zurück
Oben