Abstrakt Instruments VS-1 Analog Synth - Oberheim OB-X Inspired Rackmount Synth

Project Update #70: VS-1 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer by Abstrakt Instruments

Week 173 Update

Posted by Abstrakt Instruments
Oct 6, 2023

...not too much interesting to report this week - but we are still on schedule. We're pretty overwhelmed with logistics. If you contact me via email please allow a few days for me to reply over the next week. In a follow-up to the week 170 update we have new part-time help starting next week. This is mostly in relation to Avalon assembly & fulfillment, but this frees up resources for the VS-1.

Have a good weekend,

Brian Castro | Abstrakt Instruments

Project Update #71: VS-1 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer by Abstrakt Instruments

Week 174 Update

Oct 16, 2023

Hi Everyone,

Another week, another update. We're pushing ahead with both the DIY kits and retail VS-1's. It's fairly frenetic right now with much going on. We're still on target for the kit fulfillment to start in late November. We're preparing everything to go out in a tight window of time, I would estimate less than 3 weeks to ship all kits. In preparation for shipping, we have been working with the production I/O Boards and Mainboards to make sure everything is working properly with the latest firmware. About 95% of the kits are already packed in boxes and ready to go. We still need to do address verification, this will be happening in November. Aside from kit preparation, the firmware development is ongoing, it's all we have left at this point.

Regards,

Project Update #72: VS-1 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer by Abstrakt Instruments

Week 175 Update

Oct 24, 2023

...more of the same this week. We are working diligently on the Build Manual to have it ready when we start shipping kits. We've got just about every part packed - only waiting for a few last-minute pieces. We are also still working with the production mainboard and I/O board to confirm operation with the latest firmware. So far no issues and on schedule. The boxes remain staged awaiting the last parts before shipping. The pic captures about 50% of the boxes. It doesn't look very daunting but everything is meticulously packed to make it as easy as possible to assemble. There are 40,000 poly bags used here!!

Project Update #73: VS-1 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer by Abstrakt Instruments

Week 177 Update

Nov 6, 2023

This week week are contacting everyone with a DIY kit to confirm delivery address. If you pledged a kit you should receive an email by Friday. We still have some work to do on the build manual and some verification to do with the mainboard and IO boards but it will not hold up shipping of the kits. They will start shipping as scheduled - and will be shipped out as fast as we can box and generate labels. Once kits are shipped we will be able to concentrate on firmware and demonstrate the units in their final design.

Regards,

Project Update #74: VS-1 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer by Abstrakt Instruments

Week 177 Update #2

Nov 9, 2023

This is confirmation that we have now emailed everyone who has pledged a VS-1 DIY Kit for shipping address verification. If you did not receive an email please email me directly at briancastro2@gmail.com. Please put [VS-1 Backer] in the subject line. Thanks.

Project Update #75: VS-1 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer by Abstrakt Instruments

Week 178 Update

Nov 21, 2023

Just a quick update today - we're a couple of days behind schedule. We start shipping DIY kits on Friday. There will be a short video update on Wednesday. The office will be closed Thursday for Thanksgiving.

Es ist also Zeit, die letzten Bestellungen zu tätigen und den Lötkolben anzuheizen, so man denn einen Bausatz geordert hat. Anybody?

Ich glaube es erst wenn die Platinen vor mir liegen.
@swissdoc welches Lötzinn wirst du verwenden?

Project Update #76: VS-1 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer by Abstrakt Instruments

Week 178 Update #2

Nov 23, 2023

Project Update #77: VS-1 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer by Abstrakt Instruments

Week 179 Update

Dec 1, 2023

It's been an interesting week...

We have officially started shipping VS-1 DIY Kits. We decided to ship a batch of kits to United States destinations first to make sure they arrive in good shape. The package is heavy - mostly due to the steel enclosure. The kits are double-boxed and also have corner protectors, but they are still quite heavy. We want to make sure there are no issues and make sure the first natch arrives in good shape and the corners are not slammed and damaged. Only basic kits without additional parts kits have started shipping. Kits with full parts kits will start shipping next week. All kits will be shipped before the holiday season.

We lost quite a bit of work time this week.... I would rather not share this, but the word may have got out and I don't want any of you to be concerned. Our storage unit was burglarized. We have been dealing with the local police and our insurance company. I want to confirm that nothing relating to VS-1 was stolen. In addition, it appears the thieves that are likely responsible have been arrested and the musical instruments and other stuff stolen may very well be recovered.

Project Update #78: VS-1 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer by Abstrakt Instruments

Week 179 Update

Dec 8, 2023

Hi Everyone,

We are quite busy here trying to keep everything organized and in order while we deliver kits. I think I've lost a few pounds without needing to go on a diet! Pictures make fulfillment look easy but it gets rather crazy rather fast. We shipped (18) more kits today. We are up to (36) kits shipped. We would have shipped more - but we are now down to almost exclusively kits with parts included - and we found a few BOM lines weren't packed yet so we frantically got the last parts packed up. Otherwise no issues at this point. We are still planning to ship all kits by December 22nd. If anything changes I will let you know. I will be working alone in the office over the holiday as well so I should be able to get some work done. Meanwhile, software development continues off-site.

There are a few backers who we have not received a response from regarding shipping address confirmation. For privacy reasons, I will note your names by first name and last initial. If you read this update please email me at briancastro2@gmail.com to confirm your address - your kits are ready to ship.

Richard L, Michael S, Kamil P

Lastly, we uploaded a video with more detailed description of what is included in the basic VS-1 kit.

Project Update #79: VS-1 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer by Abstrakt Instruments

Week 179 Update #2 (Shipping Method details)

Dec 10, 2023

Hi Everyone,

I forgot to add this note to the last update...

During initial funding for the VS-1 we stated that all orders are shipped via USPS - both international and domestic. It was stated that you would have the option to upgrade to UPS or FEDEX if desired at the time of fulfillment. However, a few years on and many recent nightmares with USPS International shipping - and we are now shipping all orders with UPS. In short, about 18 months ago USPS started consolidating international shipping and sending packages to US-based hubs and then re-routing them to the final destination. As a result, we would have to send packages to the destination hub.. the delivery address would not be the final customer address - it would be a random USPS hub address. We had numerous packages that ended up being returned-to-sender. Because of this we no longer send any expedited international packages via USPS.

We do realize that some international customers like USPS because local post doesn't generally collect tax & duty, whereas UPS is more likely to. As stated during initial funding we declare VS-1 kits at $295USD - closer to BOM cost - so this helps a lot w/ any potential tax & duty.

Hat irgendjemand auf dieser Welt eigentlich mal sein VS-1 Kit geliefert bekommen?

Auf Gearspace gibt es einen Thread zum Thema und WIMRE löten die ersten dort los. Warum fragst Du? Hast Du ein Kit bestellt?

Wenn das in dem Tempo so weiter geht, kommt sogar noch der VS-1 Clone von B. vorher. :)

Auf Gearspace gibt es einen Thread zum Thema und WIMRE löten die ersten dort los. Warum fragst Du? Hast Du ein Kit bestellt?
Nein hatte zum Glück nicht vorbestellt. Das so viel Kapital über Jahre gebunden ist und nichts geliefert wird kann ich mir nicht leisten.
Um so erfreulicher zu hören das die erstem VS-1 gelötet werden. Bin auf weitere Demos..etc gespannt.
Vielleicht kauf ich mir den VS-1 wenn das alles mal etwas besser verfügbar ist oder second hand.

@swissdoc … hoffe, dass du deinen VS-1 bald einmal geliefert bekommst und evtl. darüber berichten kannst.
Dass die ersten DIY Kits nur in den USA ausgeliefert wurden, finde auch nicht gerade fair. «America First» behavior …

Project Update #77: VS-1 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer by Abstrakt Instruments
Week 179 Update
Dec 1, 2023

It's been an interesting week...

We have officially started shipping VS-1 DIY Kits. We decided to ship a batch of kits to United States destinations first to make sure they arrive in good shape. The package is heavy - mostly due to the steel enclosure.

Project Update #80: VS-1 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer by Abstrakt Instruments

Week 181 Update

Dec 23, 2023

Hi Everyone,

We were not able to ship all VS-1 DIY kits by today as planned. There is no issue - it's just taking longer than expected, there are a lot of parts for the full parts kits to confirm and make sure there are no parts missing from any kit. We will be working this weekend and next Tuesday - Friday so more kits will ship next week and there will be another update. I've attached a picture below to show exactly what's left to go out. If you have not received a tracking number yet your pledge has not yet shipped. For those of you w/ full parts kits there is another video describing exactly what is included - the video will be published by January 2nd. There were 4 backers who asked to purchase full parts kits. We responded to each of you already to confirm that we do have additional parts kits available. We will reply again when they are ready to ship. Also, a backer has asked if we can update the DIY BOM w/ an additional column for parts description. We were not able to do it this week but will finish it and update the DIY BOM to v1.02 as soon as possible.

Aside from fulfilment of DIY kits we will also be publishing the official Build Manual over the holiday vacation. For those who have kits already in hand you can start building the PCB assemblies using the Altium 365 links on the website at VS-1 DIY – Abstrakt Instruments

We are also working on the official bootloader over the holiday vacation. This is the program for the end user to update firmware, and the priority has now jumped to the top of the list. As soon as it is complete we are ready to ship the SMD assemblies.

Lastly, if you have contacted me directly via email, phone or text please give me a few days to respond. There are many inquiries this week and it's going to take a while to respond to all of them.

Happy Holidays,

Brian Castro

Project Update #81: VS-1 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer by Abstrakt Instruments

Week 182 Update

Jan 1, 2024

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone had a good New Year. I've said it before but you folks are unbelievably patient. I frankly could have never imagined the project taking this long, even with the past knowledge & participation in many product development cycles. It has been a very tough couple of years. In a time when we planned to grow the business, we had to hit the brakes and shrink operating costs to make sure we could survive. We are feeling optimistic heading into 2024 and will be stepping out & growing again.

The shipping of DIY Kits has been a bit slower than expected, mostly due to the full parts kits. We have averaged shipping (15) kits per week. The last kits will be shipping the week of January 15. A couple of us have worked over the holiday, making progress on firmware (including bootloader), DIY Kit Build Manual & updating DIY Kit BOM. Personally, I have set up a mirror of my workspace at home, and have found productivity in doing additional work after tucking all the kids in bed - working in peace & quiet without being disturbed! Hence the 3am update on New Years Day.

The DIY Kit BOM has been updated to v1.02. There are numerous updates:

• Added to the parts description for many parts to help for those that want to find substitutes.
  • Updated all BOM Cart links incorporating any recent changes.
  • Added a Bag # column to the main worksheet VS-1 BOM (All) to indicate which bag each part resides in. This is just another tool for those that have ordered Full Parts Kits (I've mentioned it many times but the Full Parts Kits have a very detailed level of packing and sorting that will aide in building).
  • Added a worksheet for Included Hardware & Connectors. This shows the part numbers and where we have purchased all of these included parts. This may be useful if you need to buy replacement parts or just want to see the detailed description. These parts are included in all Kits and do not need to be purchased.
  • Updated the Page Layout formatting for easy printing.

There are also a few additions to the parts list so please see the changelog.

I have spent many hours working on the Build Manual this week and will publish as soon as possible. I will be publishing a draft version as soon as I know it's in a good state and 100% accurate.

Project Update #82: VS-1 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer by Abstrakt Instruments

Week 183 Update

Jan 4, 2024

Work continues on shipping VS-1 DIY kits and completing the Build Manual & firmware. The detailed contents of the VS-1 DIY w/ full part kits can be viewed below. For those starting to build DIY kits - the answers to almost every question we have received is answered in the Build Manual. As mentioned many times over the months, I desperately wanted to have the manual published before anything shipped, but it got the point where it was counter-productive. Please bear with me while I finish it, I am doing everything I can working 15-hour days to make up time. As you know from initial crowd-funding... at this point in the process I had planned to grow the team to be able to delegate responsibilities. However, after a turbulent couple of years we are just lucky to be standing tall. As you could imagine it's difficult to juggle tasks - and as a result every task takes longer. There was no avoiding this if we were to stay in business so we're staying positive and working our asses off.

Project Update #83: VS-1 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer by Abstrakt Instruments

Week 185 Update #1

Jan 18, 2024

Just a quick note to let you know there will be an update coming this weekend. We're knee-deep in getting out the rest of the DIY kits. We've received a few support requests regarding VS-1 BOM/schematic/build questions and one or two inconsistencies in part values - this will be addressed and any relevant documents will be updated.

Project Update #84: VS-1 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer by Abstrakt Instruments

Week 186

Jan 23, 2024

Hi Everyone,

I am pleased to inform you that as of January 21st, VS-1 DIY kits have been shipped to all backers who have a confirmed shipping address. I am including a table below with backer # and shipment status. There are two backers who we have not been able to contact since November, please get in contact! In addition, fourteen customers purchased VS-1 DIY Kits after funding was completed (we made 100 kits w/ a few extra). If you are one of these folks please allow another 10 days for delivery, we have prioritized Kickstarter backers.

A few important notes:

1) If you are a kit backer you are aware that we are shipping the SMD assemblies separately. This ended up being a good decision - the packaging which we had purchased many months ago ended up being stuffed to fit the full parts kits - and we would not have been able to fit everything. For those w/ Full Parts kits, the IEC power cord and IC Tube #7 are also being shipped in the second package. This is noted in the kit description sheet that was included with each kit (please note we revised the kit contents sheet for the kit-only version after the first 15 or so kits so your sheet may look different). The sheet is very useful for checking kit contents to make sure you have all the parts. The kit contents videos also cover the contents.

VS-1 Kit Contents Sheet (also added to the downloads tab on the website)
VS-1 Basic Kit - Detailed Contents (Video)
VS-1 w/ Full Parts Kit - Detailed Contents (Video)

2) If you believe your kit is missing any parts please contact me by replying on the address confirmation email chain. This will help me keep your replies organized. Also, we will be referencing this same email chain when shipping the 2nd package, so we will see any missing parts requests and be able to ship along with the 2nd package.

3) The DIY BOM has been update to v1.03. This incorporates some minor errors and omissions in the previous versions (including a voice card resistor description error). Please see the change log.

4) The Panelboard assembly link has been updated to reflect an error in the parts description for the bypass capacitors. The actual schematic & PCB documents have not been revised as there is no change to the actual schematic or PCB files.

5) We want to support DIY builds. I am trying to decide the best solution. We don't currently have the bandwidth to answer support emails or monitor forums on a daily basis. I'm reluctant to set up a custom forum only to not be able to stay on top of it - or for it to go dormant after a few months. Ideally, I would like to appoint a pseudo-moderator. Someone who would have direct contact with me via phone, text, & email as the initial rush of kits starts to get built. If there is anyone out there that is building a VS-1 that is interested in helping please contact me at briancastro2@gmail.com and put [moderator] in the subject line. I think having an official DIY build thread on Modwiggler might be a good solution.

I would like to mention that it was very labor intensive to provide Full Parts Kits (thousands of man hours). I wanted to provide them directly so that we could control the sourcing of all parts, and provide all new parts from first sources (major distributors) and new-old-stock parts from reliable obsolete component distributors. This will be a huge bonus when it comes to building the kits and having the correct parts. The initial intent was to maintain a bigger team to delegate some of this busy-work. However, with all the delays and having to slim down operations we just had to put our heads down and push through. In addition to myself, we currently only have a software engineer and a part-time technician. I will be looking to expand in the near future, but for now I wanted to thank everyone for being so patient. We will most certainly be looking to work with a 3rd party to provide parts kits in the future.

Aside from getting the SMD assemblies for the DIY kits out the door there are only two milestones left...

Getting Firmware to beta stage and ultimately initial release.
Shipping VS-1 Retail.

We're not at the point of giving a firm target date on delivery, but continue to work hard, and look forward to more enjoyable tasks such as demo'ing the production-spec VS-1.

Anhänge

• vs-1_kit_contents_sheet.pdf
    389,4 KB · Aufrufe: 0
Project Update #85: VS-1 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer by Abstrakt Instruments

Week 186 Update #2 (revised DIY shipping status table)

Jan 24, 2024

I have heard back from one more backer of the DIY kit. I have also found a mistake in yesterday's status table... there is one additional backer who we haven't heard back from. Please see below:
[Table omitted here]

@NicGrey
Ich war etwas im Rückstand, aber oben kannst Du ja nachlesen:
I am pleased to inform you that as of January 21st, VS-1 DIY kits have been shipped to all backers who have a confirmed shipping address.

News

Zurück
Oben