acidlab miami (TR-808 clone)

agent

808miami.jpg

This weekend I received one of the first serial machines of the "miami" by acidlab.
Yes there is a bit of difference between old and new machine but its all good. The 808 can gracefully retire now ;-)

A / B sound comparison (starting with the 808) http://www.sendspace.com/file/pe6pkz

individual sound comparison:

Bassdrum : the miami bassdrum rules, there is no other word. The frequency is a tiny bit lower than on my 808 and it has a crazy long decay. Miami wins.
Snaredrum : my 808 Snare has a higher basic pitch and more noise (due to the internal TM 4 pot setting which also affects the toms) . Different sound on both machines result but both are authentic.
Toms : my 808 toms have a slightly shorter sound (especially set to conga) and more "room noise" added (again due to TM 4). The Miami conga sound is a bit too long for me in this comparison, so advantage to 808.
Rimshot : slightly lower pitch frequency and more body on my 808 (less piercing attack) - I prefer the 808 here
Clap: my 808 clap has more attack, lower frequency, less decay. The parameters attack/decay are set by internal pot TM 3 - its possible to tweak between clicky attack with no decay and endless noise) - I adjusted my 808 to my preference, miami has the "roland standard sound"
Maracas: the miami "shaker" sounds like a "scratch", not very smooth (could be due to pot settings) - clear advantage for 808 here
Cymbals : lower basic frequency and longer decay on my 808, no important difference for me
Open HH : higher basic frequency on my 808 and slightly smoother sound (probably due to a high pass filter setting) - the miami could bring a better result in a recording mix cause usually the high frequency of the 808 HH cause problems in the mastering

the comparison has been done in a "microscopic/ clean" a/b sound check. I believe it will be practically impossible to tell the machines apart in a live setup or a mixdown.

acidlab decided to build a machine as close as possible to the original 808 that is why they left out a few chances to add typical "tonal mods" that could have enhanced the machine even more, but the reason is understandable: the budget was set to keep the price as low as possible with maximum authenticity, and different "extra wishes" by different users arise. I'll send mine back for some mods later (if they should progress into this field) but my verdict for the machine is - THEY HIT THE NAIL!

it sounds fantastic. did you buy one of the first 20 that acidlab sold? i was in contact with klaus in february but i didn't get a message from him saying they were ready for sale. maybe they were already sold.

here is another mp3 that is showing the details that I wrote above
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DIJKZFYQ

note that other tr-808 sound different (also the ones I used before the current one) so one shouldn't see a particular machine as a reference.

+ any mirror host is cool! I don't like the dodgy upload services, always unreliable

ich hab gehört man könne den Sound der Snare irgendwie tweaken .. so das sie mehr punch bekommt .. find die Snare in meiner etwas mau - ohne Accent eigentlich nicht zu gebrauchen.
Weiß da jemand was?

alter thread das war ja meine miami (inzwischen schon verkauft) hab jetzt ne yocto und die rd 8. ja es gibt ein paar Unterschiede aber im Wesentlichen machen die Dinger doch, was sie sollen. Die Original Hihats der 808 sind ja viel zu hoch gestimmt, man braucht immer einen Deesser im Mastering. Ob das nun erstrebenswert ist, "genau das gleich" zu machen, muss jeder selbst wissen. Die RD 8 hat auf der Bassdrum schon das extralange decay, man könnte bei Bedarf den Widerstand R372 erhöhen (einen 4,7k parallel ranlöten) dann hat es noch mehr punch. Der Markt für die yocto ist glaube ich damit aber tot.
PS. den noise level trimpot aus 808 und miami gibt es in der rd8 übrigens auch

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
mmh in der Nähe der Snare find ich nix was man irgendwie trimmen könnte

kennt sich jemand damit aus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbCifY3cdNw

Es ist der unterste der 3 Trimpots! Am besten ersteinmal die ursprüngliche Position markieren bzw. sich merken wieviele umdrehungen man schon gedreht hat.
Der Trimmer erhöht aber lediglich die "Lautstärke" des Noise anteils. Länger wird das Decay dadurch nicht, das geht nur über den Tausch eines Kondensators.

Ich zieh das hier mal wieder hoch… hab mir dank des nun recht niedrigen Gebrauchtpreises mal so ein Gerät ins Haus geholt… irgendwie finde ich alles ganz nett, nur Snare und Clap klingen irgendwie sehr mau. Gibt es irgendwo eine detaillierte Anleitung für die Funktion der internen Trimmer?

News

Zurück
Oben