Hi and Cwejman S1 question

sonicwarrior schrieb:
Then you should also have a look at the Anyware Instruments SEMTEX XL:
http://www.anyware-instruments.de/
I did, a couple of weeks ago. Very nive semi-modular, with a beautiful filter and yes, snappy EGs. :) I was very interested until I listened to the audio demos where you get the original SEM in one channel and the Semtex in the other: I thought the OSC sound of the Semtex was rather thin in comparison, while the SEM had much more body and umph. I'll have to listen to some more demos I guess.

Monokit schrieb:
MonoRob schrieb:
I didn't mention the WAR at all. :shock: ;-)

Well then i won´t mention GOUDA at all. :lol:

Seems S1 is tougher than you thought. Guess you have to make a trip to Frankfurt next week. Maybe Boele goes?
Yes, I have to think some more about the S1. The SOS review suggests it can do Moog/Arp/Korg stuff easily, so I suspected that at least those filters were copies of the classic synths. In this thread however I learned the S1 is something totally different, very impressive, but different, and with it's own unique character. Would be nice if the S1 could do all of that. ;-)

I'm not going to Frankfurt, btw, most of the time it's way to loud to listen really well to anything. Not sure if Boele will go.

there is a nice audio /mp3 section here.. just listen to those..
since i had it here 2 times: it doesn't sound thin at all..

it is based on a SEM but it is more it'S own kind of synth: almost everything has been tuned or/and changed and expanded ,so it is something different and modular..

tomcat schrieb:
Im still surprised what sounds the S1 can make. So i dont compare it to other synths cause of its own sound (the s1 doesnt claim to be a moog, cem or whatever). The cwejman is a very precise synth like said. When i edit some bass sounds in the waveeditor im still surprised how exact they are. Maybe this is exactly the "lack of warmness" some people complain.
I wonder, is the S1 actually sexy sounding? For example, when you listen to an SH-7 or an MS20 with it's ripping filters, you hear tons of stuff in the sound that shouldn't really be there, but it's so damn sexy! Part of what makes analog so interesting is all the 'extras' you get in the sound, the freebies. From the quote above I almost get the impression that the S1 is a little boring, soundwise. No?

MonoRob schrieb:
tomcat schrieb:
Im still surprised what sounds the S1 can make. So i dont compare it to other synths cause of its own sound (the s1 doesnt claim to be a moog, cem or whatever). The cwejman is a very precise synth like said. When i edit some bass sounds in the waveeditor im still surprised how exact they are. Maybe this is exactly the "lack of warmness" some people complain.
I wonder, is the S1 actually sexy sounding? For example, when you listen to an SH-7 or an MS20 with it's ripping filters, you hear tons of stuff in the sound that shouldn't really be there, but it's so damn sexy! Part of what makes analog so interesting is all the 'extras' you get in the sound, the freebies. From the quote above I almost get the impression that the S1 is a little boring, soundwise. No?

hm, I assume sexy means dirt in your definition (ok,call me Sigmund Freud!)
imo the s1 has not too much "ms20" kind of dirt.. it is much more clear.. but it def'ly has a special kind of sound! it colours the sound in a way.. imo thats not the sh or ms kind of colour that come up here.. but hmm.. more some sort of forming the sound..

Imo you should better try to find someone that owns an S1 or at least some1 who will buy it if you do not want it.. since this is not easy to explain in words..

even in german i'd find it very hard to find the right words ..
that coldish (not cold!) and some sort of modern is in there..
but it is not something like saturation oder distortion but more to "colourize" the sound in a certain way..

MonoRob schrieb:
tomcat schrieb:
And the Sunsyn Envs. 0.75 ;-)
SunSyn is snappy too, yes?

cwejman 500ms
sunsyn 750ms

You can also tune the sunsyn envs to be even faster. the 750ms is factory calibration from juergen. Dont know if the cal must be done in hardware or software.

:)

p.s. hmm, was ist ms?? anyway the 500 and 750 numbers are correct, maybe i confused the comma

okay, english seems to be the "official" language here, so: normally ms means milliseconds, are you sure about the values? 500 ms means half a second, guess that wouldn`t be too fast...maybe 50 + 75 ms?

uhm, guys.. the s1 is 0.5msecs decay time.. 500ms would be quite some time ;-) 1000ms is one second, 500 half second...

a moog is around 1ms, and longer than 5ms is simply a SLOW env!

and don't foget the curce/slope

I am moving this thread to english.. makes more sense .. and: it's not sooo much used ,so in this case its what it is made for..

something to compare with:
www.Sequencer.de/specials/fast-LFO-synthesizer.html

eg an arp ody has about 4ms, and still sound fast..
a jupiter is much faster, etc etc..

imo 5ms and more is slow.. if linear.. with expo it might still be fast enough..

yep. thanks moog that was the comma location .. ive been in the microseconds or somewhere else :)

soooo:

cwejman: 0.5ms
sunsyn: 0.75ms

Moogulator schrieb:
imo the s1 has not too much "ms20" kind of dirt.. it is much more clear.. but it def'ly has a special kind of sound! it colours the sound in a way.. imo thats not the sh or ms kind of colour that come up here.. but hmm.. more some sort of forming the sound..
Okay Sigmund, that's good enough for me! ;-) I was not reffering to dirt only, although I understand that assumption giving my synth examples. I was reffering to all the normal analog 'magic', the stuff to badly missed in digital synths, no matter how hard they try. Since that scope image of the 'precise' S1 output was so clean/perfect, I did get the VA association for a moment.

Imo you should better try to find someone that owns an S1 or at least some1 who will buy it if you do not want it.. since this is not easy to explain in words..

but it is not something like saturation oder distortion but more to "colourize" the sound in a certain way..
Wise words, I definitely need to hear it myself a couple of times. Could be that I love it to bits, could be that I go yuck. Good thing there's no cash yet, heh.

MonoRob schrieb:
I was very interested until I listened to the audio demos where you get the original SEM in one channel and the Semtex in the other: I thought the OSC sound of the Semtex was rather thin in comparison, while the SEM had much more body and umph. I'll have to listen to some more demos I guess.
I think the parameters were not 100% matched, higher cutoff frequency and/or deeper envelope modulation on the filter on the Semtex side.
But anyway, enough advertising. :gay: They are all great instruments in their own right. :)

MonoRob schrieb:
Moogulator schrieb:
Okay Sigmund, that's good enough for me! ;-) I was not reffering to dirt only, although I understand that assumption giving my synth examples. I was reffering to all the normal analog 'magic', the stuff to badly missed in digital synths, no matter how hard they try. Since that scope image of the 'precise' S1 output was so clean/perfect, I did get the VA association for a moment.

Wise words, I definitely need to hear it myself a couple of times. Could be that I love it to bits, could be that I go yuck. Good thing there's no cash yet, heh.

well, imo the big pro for the s1 is the fast env and VCA expo mode..
it is also analog but for the rest I don't think words will do it ;-)

my impression is, that you will not do everything with it, but quite some interesting sounds.. but in fact there is at least no synth, that will do "everything" ;-) thats an illusion,still..

Neueste Beiträge

News

Zurück
Oben