judging my setup: what should i do with all these gear!?

Hey folks,

Sometimes it's not good to have too many things in your setup, since you have more distance to each piece of equipment you own and it gets difficult to build a creative and "close" relationship to each of them, it becomes confusing and you are out of focus easily.

So I decided to limit my desire to own more, since I think I have a reasonable amount of equipment for my needs both in terms of quality and quantity.
In this framework, I need some help from you guys, to be able to decide which pieces would be reasonable to add to and to "polish" my setup, and which pieces should|can go. I am planing to buy 2-3 more pieces, then I will concentrate more on creative processes and producing, then making thoughts or dreaming about new synths, -which can be very time consuming and disfocusing! (I stepped into modular world in the last months, buying new innovative modules would be the only source for my desires of consumption, but that's another issue)

By the way, I am these days into ambient|experimental|industrial electro stuff, in the direction of old school Alec Empire, Muslimgauze, Third Eye Foundation, old school WARP etc.

Here is a list of my existing setup in Berlin:

DIGITAL
Monomachine
Machinedrum
Hartman Neuron VS
Virus A
Novation Supernova
Novation Drumstation
Flame Midi Talking Synth
Casio SK1
Electribe ES-1

ANALOG
Kraftzwerg
Doepfer A-100 (Sampler|Wavetable Osc, BBD Delay, Bit Crusher, Waveshaper|Distortion, Ribbon Controller, Env. Follower, WASP Filter, Random Noise)
DSI Evolver
Waldorf Pulse
MAM MB33
Vermona E-Piano
Sherman Filterbank
Jomox M-Resonator
MFB 502
Omnichord OM-22
EKO New Rhytm Box
Lastgasp Cyber Psychic Oscillo Filter
EHX Micro Synthesizer
div. analog and digital effects

Here are some of the questions of mine to be discussed. These are simple questions, but the thing is to have simple answers!
Here we go:

1. Do I need more sequencers, drummachines or synths?
2. Should the new pieces be analog or digital?
3. I should quickly decide between a Nord MicroModular or Doepfer MS-404. Which one would be a better choice to add to my setup? (Or should I forget these two?)
4. Here are some options I may consider: Moog Source, MiniCommand, Nord Modular, FutureRetro XS1, FR Revolution, Sidstation, SEM, Flame Clockwork & Echometer, Monome, Octopus, Miami etc.
Which ones should be reasonable to invest for?
5. Which pieces above in the list should go?

I know this is a weird topic, but I need some abstractions and thought about my equipment, and it should be also worth for others and give some idea how to decide to improve ones equipment and how to evaluate future plans on the setup.

Anyway, I hope that you would think loudly and comment on my setup!

Best wishes and thanks for your cooperation!
onur

PS. By the way, you may answer in German, since I also speak German (actually I am going to write a PhD thesis on philisophy in German!), but I can still express myself better in English. Anyway, you can answer in German! :)

Re: judging my setup: which synths do i need?

dogzstar schrieb:
Here are some of the questions of mine to be discussed. These are simple questions, but the thing is to have simple answers!
Here we go:

1. Do I need more sequencers, drummachines or synths?

just in one word: NO.

your equipment is well enough to make every kind of music you can imagine. just use your equipment, make music, enjoy the sound. and don't consider to buy new stuff every two month... 8)

future_former

thanks for the nice answer. :)
but well, this was a rhetorical question.

i don't use most of the gear i listed very often, actually i only jam with my MD these days, plus some evolver and modular stuff, maybe the virus and the pulse. i just need some help to reconsider what i have in my setup and how to reevaluate them. that's it. selling all the stuff besides these and buying 15 harvestman, makenoise, livewire, metasonix etc. modules could be a real option for example!

dogzstar schrieb:
i don't use most of the gear i listed very often, actually i only jam with my MD these days, plus some evolver and modular stuff, maybe the virus and the pulse.

so, if you don't use it - sell it. reduce your setup to the minimum requirements. and only buy if you evaluate you'll need another piece of equipment.

I had alot pieces of gear in the past, but I sold most of my synths+machines that I didn't used. now my setup is clear and structured and I come up very quickly to where I want. it's the same with computer plugins - just buy and install what you really use and need.

in your case, I'd sell & buy following stuff:

DIGITAL
[SELL] - Novation Supernova
[SELL] - Novation Drumstation
[SELL] - Flame Midi Talking Synth
[SELL] - Casio SK1
[SELL] - Electribe ES-1

ANALOG
[SELL] - MAM MB33

3. I should quickly decide between a Nord MicroModular or Doepfer MS-404. Which one would be a better choice to add to my setup? (Or should I forget these two?)
4. Here are some options I may consider: Moog Source, MiniCommand, Nord Modular, FutureRetro XS1, FR Revolution, Sidstation, SEM, Flame Clockwork & Echometer, Monome, Octopus, Miami etc.
Which ones should be reasonable to invest for?

won't buy any either. you have to analyse about your needs. :idea:

future_former

go buy yourself some time....
and as a reply to your question in the title: Music.
sometimes a synth thrown out of the window sounds more interesting than one thats played :)

I didnt buy some intruments for 4 jears now. but am making music for many hours every day.

Ich würde mal sagen:

1. Weniger ist mehr

(mehr Musik!)

2. Behalte das, was dich am meisten inspiriert

(mehr Lust - & mehr Musik!)

3. Zum Jahresende (Ende Nov bis Jan) hin ist es i.d.R. eine gute Zeit zum Verkaufen

(mehr Geld!)

4. Mein Eindruck ist, dass du bislang nicht so gerne mit Rechner/Softsynths arbeitest. Nun - man bekommt ein brauchbares altes Notebook (ca. 1,5 GHz Pentium III, oder so) für ca. 120 bis 150 Euro, man nehme dazu eine USB-Audio-Schnittstelle (50 bis 100 Euro, evtl. noch eine USB2-Karte für das Notebook) und hat dann für maximal 250 Euro ein bereits gutes System, das man zum Beispiel einfach als externen Synthesizer (auch: Sampler, Effektgerät usw. usf) nutzen könnte. Ich denke, dass einige Softsynths derartig großartig sind (sogar einige Freeware-Teile), gerade für den Freund von gepflegten Industrial, dass man sich damit durchaus befassen könnte. Nimmt man das Notebook dann "nur" als Klangerzeuger, ohne allzu tief ins Klangdesign einzusteigen, kann man damit seinen musikalischen Output erhöhen - und einiges vom Hardware-Gerätepark "arbeitslos" machen. Man hat dann dann hinterher ein schlankeres Setup. Vielleicht spricht die anfangs mitunter mühevolle "Lernkurve" gegen so einen Schritt - da ist jeder anders. Trotzdem glaube ich, dass "mehr Output" und "mehr Industrial" und "mehr Spaß" damit möglich sind. Ein gebrauchter Reaktor 5 (inkl. Lizenz) gibt es unter 100 Euro - und allein die Nutzung der dort vorhandenen Instrumente kann ziemlich inspirierend sein.

5. Wenn ich das richtig sehe, machen dir die "kraftvollen Krachmacher" unter den Synthesizern viel Spaß. Da wäre - gerade für Industrialisten - vielleicht ein Ensoniq SQ80 oder ESQ-M als Anschaffung (!) überlegenswert. Der müsste ein paar Sounds am Start haben, welche die übrigen deiner Synthies nicht so gut beherrschen. Hast Du Röhrenverstärker bzw. Verzerrer? Hast du dazu gute Transistor-Verzerrer, mit dem der nachgeschaltete Röhrenverzerrer "gekitzelt" wird? Über den Kauf eines Samplers würde ich mir an deiner Stelle auch Gedanken machen. Viele Industrialisten fahren auf den Ensoniq ASR ab, oder als Alternative den ASR-X bzw. ASR-X Pro (200 bis 300 Euro), ich finde preisleistungsmäßig den Yamaha A3000 ganz prima (ca. 100 Euro), zumal der eine Reihe ganz lustiger Effekte hat u.v.m.

6. Ansonsten geht der Trend klar in Richtung abschaffen/verkaufen. Meine Redundanzliste (d.h. die Geräte sind in ihrem Klangpotential bereits durch andere abgedeckt) wäre:

weg damit: Monomachine, Hartman Neuron VS, Novation Supernova, Novation Drumstation, Flame Midi Talking Synth, Casio SK1, Electribe ES-1, Jomox Resonator (bringt noch rel. viel Geld), MAM MB33, Vermona E-Piano, MFB 502, Omnichord OM-22, EKO New Rhytm Box, EHX Micro Synthesizer (klingt m. E. zu lahm für Industrial)

Was weg kommt kann man absamplen - das lindert den Trennungsschmerz ;-)

Behalten: Machinedrum, Virus A (ggf. gegen Virus B tauschen), Kraftzwerg, Doepfer A-100 (den würde ich noch etws ausbauen, mehr Oscillatoren/LFOs, ein oder zwei Filter und Envelopes), DSI Evolver (weil er dich inspiriert), Waldorf Pulse, Sherman Filterbank, Lastgasp Cyber Psychic Oscillo Filter (der bringt gebraucht nicht mehr viel - aber er hat m. E. mehr musikalischen Wert als der Jomox Resonator, vor allem dann, wenn hinter ihm eine schöne Röhrenverzerrung stattfindet...)

Beipielrechnung:

Anschaffen "Notebook-Soundstation" oder (!) A3000, dazu ESQ1 und ein paar Döpfer-Module = ca. 500 Euro
Abschaffen "weg damit": 2500 Euro

Ich tippe mal, falls du in etwa in diese Richtung gehst, dann hast du nicht nur Geld gewonnen, sondern vor allem ein beachtliches Plus an Spaß beim Musikmachen.

Hey

In der Weile habe ich meinen ganzen Setup ausgebaut und versucht meinen "Traumsetup" zu schaffen.
Jetzt hat die Kombination und die Gliederung einen besseren Logik und Sinn.

Ich werde noch Metasonix und Moogerfooger Effekte schaffen, einen MPC60 und einen Octopus.
Dann ist der Setup mehr als komplett und fast alles moeglich!
:)

Was sagt ihr zu dieser Entwicklung?

lg
onur

ELEKTRON
Elektron Machinedrum
Elektron Monomachine
Elektron Sidstation

POLY ANALOG
DSI Prophet08 Rack
DSI Poly Evolver Rack

ANALOG DRUMS
Jomox Airbase99

MONO ANALOG
Moog Little Phatty Tribute Edition
Future Retro Revolution
Studio Electronics ATC1
Analogue Solutions SEMblance

DIGITAL
Clavia Nord Modular Rack
Waldorf Microwave I
Kawai K5000W
Casio SK1 Circuit Bent by Diabloical Devices
Omnichord System 2

SAMPLER
EMU E Synth

KEYS
Vermona E Piano
Korg M1

FILTER
SND FB14 Filterbank
Sherman Filterbank 1

CONTROLLER
Percussa Audiocubes x 4

MIXER
Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro

EFFECTS
Ibanez UE400 - LF7 - FL10
Boss SE50 - FZ2 - XT2 - HM2 - PS3 - AW2 - CE2
DOD Gonkulator
MXR Phase90
EHX Micro Synth
Akai Head Rush 2
Zoom

GUITARS
Fender Jaguar 1968
Fender Bronco 1978
Hamer Diablo USA
G&L S500

BRASS
Amati Trumpet
Amati Cornet

:supi:

gibts auch irgendwo eine music.hörprobe? letz the musikk play,

aber die SND filterbank ist schrott. verkauf sie mir. 200 euro.

dies ist einer der letzten spielen von mir mit dem neuen setup.
unbearbeitet, unnoetig lang, aber eine rohe improvisation die ich irgendwie mag.
gibt wenigstens eine idee zu meiner richtung usw.

[mp3]www.rapidshare.com/files/342008896/alecs.mp3.html[/mp3]

ich bin ganz zufrieden mit dem SND, hat hervorragende musikalische resultate besonders mit dem elektron gear!
auf keinen fall schrott!

nein,natürlich ist der snd kein schrottil.!
neulich war hier einer in der biete abteilung... für 250 euro,oder warens 350??

ich war wohl 2-3 minuten zu spät. ..

der mp3 link funktioniert nicht bei mir?

Sind doch nette Teile, wozu was ändern?
Nen FM Synth wäre eine Bereicherung. Oder entsprechendes Plugin. Besonders wenn du Squarepusher magst, passt das nicht weniger.

Hmm, bei Autechre sind das eher Nord Modular / Nord Lead Sachen und heute Elektron, teilweise waren sogar Kyma-Fetzen dabei (nicht FM, anderes Zeug). Bei AFX ist das ähnlich, aber mehr verschiedenes Zeug.

Bin Fan des SY/TG77 und SY99

finde ich irgendwie krass, dass du dir gedanken drüber machst was du noch brauchen könntest :roll:

für mich ist/war immer mangel DER kreativitätsboost..

die md + neuron + sherman geben doch schon mindestens 10 alben her...

cheers

hamsterdunce063.jpg

dogzstar schrieb:
Ja genau, gut geschaetzt, ich suche derzeit einen Yamaha FS1R! :)
Man kann diesen Beauty bei ... Squarepusher immer hören, geniales Teil.

War Squarepusher nicht der Freak, der sich seine FM-Synths auf seinen Eventide Effektkisten zusammen bastelt?
(Orville, H8000 oder so)
Meine ich hätte das mal in nem Interview gelesen. Der FS1R ist schon mächtig, aber man muss Spass am editieren per Computer-Editor haben oder die Bedienung am 1 HE Rack mögen, ansonsten hat man keinen Spass an dem Teil (wie ich, daher verkauft).

News

Zurück
Oben