ROLAND DRUMMACHINE / DRUMCOMPUTER SECTION
– TR808 – TR909 – TR707/727 – TR606 – CR78 / 68 – CR8000
Rhythm Ace Drum Boxes, etc.
– boss sp505 & sp series
more TR series:
TR505 (a quite small “cheap” simple version of the 707..)
TR626 a larger TR505, quite short samples.
- BACK TO Roland MENU / zurück zum Roland Menü!
- Analogue Trigger Roland: 5-15V (20ms min.) – positive gate pulse
- drum machines out trig: 10-15V positive gate pulse
- drumcomputer and sequencer basics click SEQUENCER (top left!)
|Roland TR Drumcomputer +
Ace Rhythm Ace Drum Boxes +
|click the image to enlarge!!|
|Roland||Roland Synth + Drummachines overview..|
|Here is a small overview of the first and most known Drumcomputers from Roland and the former company called Ace, they built Machines under the name “rhythm ace” – click the image for some Ace Drummachines in the back, the middle section is full of CR (compurhythm) boxes by Roland , the Tr808 is the one on middle/top beside a TR626, an extended TR505, below thre is a TR727 and a CR8000 preset machine, it has 8 user patterns, too ;)||
click to see roland drummachines..
|more Ace Machines..
sounding very much like the early CR.. made for organs and standalone beat boxes..
Rolands was founded 1972, after that the names changed to CR and TR (compurhythm and transistor rhythm…)
|Rhythm Ace FR22
– built in speakers, sounds cool..
The Ace 55 and a sensor touch activated add on model for organs..
|above: Ace again…
well, it’s made as a set top box for organs..
but sounds very CR’ish!
below: the CR Drumcomputers..
the little one on the left is on of the first Roland Drum Boxes made..
click to enlage CR compurhythm boxes..
the cr-8000 is very much the TR sound..
also modable by AS (see TR mod for URL..)
“more parameters” modification to
TR808, TR606, TR909, CR78, CR8000
by Analogue Solutions
drummachine – 1st programmable rhythm machine!
you need a special controller to program it (some tried to built their own programmer). the WS1 or the WS-1 Memory Write Switch (both rare).
CR-78 “compurhythm” click image above to enlarge!
the little (extra) WS1 programmer (rare) ..
(thanks to P.schneider for pic)
|TR Series DRUM MACHINES
the classic drumcomputers:
TR = transistor rhythm
CR = Computer Rhythm
all analog drum machines.
DIN SYNC: same as tb303, TR606, TR707 (also with midi)
here’s the back side of the tr-808
and here is the connector and midi in/outs..
|TR X0X Drummachines
CR78, TR505,606,626,707,808,909 basic technique etc..
atm. can also be found in the SEQ section!!.. pics’n’infos here:
well known analogue sound with real programmable grooves after the quite hard-to-prog CR78, 1981
choose an instrument (with that dial upper left!)
set the steps and measurement (tri and normal each of the 16 led/buttons replesent a note)
the sound of each instrument can be adjusted (there are mods to expand the number of parameters for the 808, 606 909 etc…–>nice “more parameters” modification to
the 808 can be equipped with midi 2 ways:
most buttons on TR-808 and Jupiters do not work perfectly these days. here’s a replacement:
my TR808 modified – now 15 more parameters.. click to see them!!..
done by basskonzept/EBM studios..
|Changing the TR808 Switchboard..
here’s the picture TR808 tour..
for our american viewers: do not try this at home – only at YOUR OWN risk ;)
2) there are also some screws to remove at the left and right side..
3) now you can remove the control board from the PSU (mine has it’s midi interface here also see picture, the big one to the right going to the upper board is going to the knob box! so maybe you do not have it! but maybe you can copy it – just click the pic..)
btw: you can enlarge almost ANY picture by clicking on them!!
4) now remove the knobs and another 3 srews in the middle: one under the big tempo knob, one above the “808”-lettering and another one beside / above the R of rhythm composer..
5) carefully remove the board and leave the cover as is, watch the cables!! the power switch must not be removed but be careful when turning the cover / removing the board..
6) when open: you can remove the screw holding the switchboard (right under the switchboard in the front..
7)now the one to be VERY careful: see the flat connection going to the switchboard? .. the 3rd picture shows it already removed: gently use 2 finges on both side to pull it out..
8) you can unsrew 3 more screws now on the board and remove it now.. the 6th pic shows how it looks like ;)
9) see the different boards awailable in the following pictures..
10) now place the board and fix all screws again..
11) how it looks like now.. the last pic and the small “movie”..
I do not need to tell you about this? right? THE techno machine. it wasn’t the big success in 1983,when it was released – the people wanted “real sounding” drum machines (yes!).. the quite “hard” and “bassy” sound did not really find too many friends those times, but more than 10 years later THE machine with the techno revolution.
: want to do more with the 909s BD (extend the range)
here’s a lint to a DIY 909 expander..
|no drum machine, the CSQ100
a CV-gate sequencer (digital)
in the same (halved) case as the tr808..
some sort of a smaller TR808 but a more “industrial” sound
of course the parameters are not as variable as the 808’s but it has it’s own charme..
early electronic bands used it.. if course this is really very “electro” style of sound! and: thats the good point! no “real” sounding sounds! this is a real drum machine with no ugly “natural” boring sounds! ;)
the TR-606 is equipped with the roland din sync. no midi of course.
click TR606 to enlarge pic..
red images thanks to Monty Rock
larger pic? just klick it!!
|TR626 + TR505follow up of the TR707..
has the same display with dots to show the position, the system was taken over by the boss DR550 and later models.. simple but cool .. the TR505 is a cheaper version while the tr626 is the “stretch version” and more sounds.. very DRY sounds, both have midi and can send midi notes.. I know a lot of people using those as a “sequencer”.. (myself included).. time of the ebm and industrial scene..
little sister of TR808 drum computer –
image thanks to Monty Rock – click the image to enlarge!
|Roland TR707 + Roland TR727
..is a sample machine with wuite “dry” 12bit sounds. Frontline Assembly, Skinny Puppy (mind tpi), the klink – they all used it.. imo you need FX or/and distortion to make it an interesting machine.. had “shuffle”, TR-recording and “chaining” of patterns! very cool features. also is a sync monster: DIN sync (syncs 808,606…), midi and analogue trigger.. but: you can’t have it all exept when it is the MASTER.
TR-727 – “latin sounds”
|TR707 also as rack:
MKS7 = TR707 with juno106 – quite rare..
click to enlarge – image thanks to Monty Rock
|R8 / R8m
DR550 , DR660, DR770, DR880
digital drums 16bit, 44khz
all the same structure 16bit sampled drums from 48 samples (DR550) to R8 with human feel (68 sounds) to the latest DR machines like DR880 with FX.. the dr660 has FX and is quite like the r8 a bit smaller —>
the 90ies: bands like Frontline Assembly used this sounds (R8 in their case.. I think ;) .. on the mid phase albums..)
|roland / boss also did the nice groove loop tools
like the SP505, SP303, SP202
good for playing audio loops, but a quite bad sequencer, see it as a “yes, we have one, but only if you need it..” a better tape recorder type of “sequencer”..
nobody knows,how roland decide what is a boss product ;)
rolands new SP606 allows control of software, the software is some sort of loop generator like the.. hmm, mc505.. very easy transfer of patterns by one button press
|the SP505, SP303, SP202
|NON ANALOGUE SECTION||digital area..|
|MC & TB machines
TB 303 , MC 303, MC 307, MC 505 mc505 jx305 eg101, MC 909
the mc909 is not bad, but has a major problem: no mc machine still can be used to edit any step in TR-mode live or in play mode!! (just like the TR909 or korg electribe).. that is still a big minus – good: velo pads!
non roland drum machines? Linn? MPC?.. here
- MORE / OTHER DRUM MACHINE RELATED STUFF:
- more drum machines (like german jomox, mfb/fricke..), here
- to: roland TR drumcomputer, TB (bassline) & CR drum machines..
- more drum machines: elektron machine drum
- yamaha RX series (Rx5-Rx21..)
- sequencer section (click sequencer in the navigation)
- BACK TO Roland MENU / zurück zum Roland Menü!
Roland Roland Synth + Drummachines overview..